Elementary and Junior High Uniform And Dress Code
The SMS dress code is to be adhered to by all Elementary and Junior High students beginning on the first day of school. The school uniform is to be worn during each school day and at school functions. Parents will be notified of designated days when children need not wear the uniform. Please review the dress code before shopping to avoid disappointment.
Our elementary school uniform provider is R.J. McCarthy School Uniforms. They provide quality school uniform clothing and offer parents an opportunity to order clothing online at: www.rjmccarthy.com, or visit their showroom store located at 44 Saltsman Drive, Unit #1, Cambridge.
Students will be required to wear their full Dress Uniform every Tuesday and during special occasions, or on out of school trips, when appropriate. Students who have forgotten an item of their dress uniform will be asked to go to the Junior High classroom and rent the item(s) at a cost of $5.00 each. Students who do not return the rented items will be billed for the full cost of a replacement.
Preparation for wearing the uniform with pride must begin at home, thus we certainly need your assistance. We would appreciate your support by ensuring your child leaves home properly dressed each day. All clothing must be clean and in good repair. Torn, stained, faded or ill-fitting clothing will not be permitted. Clothing should be labelled with the student’s name to ensure that it can be returned when misplaced. Should you or your child need assistance in complying with our dress code, your child’s teacher would be happy to discuss this with you. We are very proud of our students and want them to feel that same sense of pride when wearing their uniform.
The following items will be considered acceptable daily school wear under the dress code:
- khaki pants, khaki walking shorts, khaki tunic, or khaki skort (cargo pants not permitted)
- navy or white golf shirt, long or short sleeve (plain or SMS logo, no t-shirts)
- navy or white turtle neck (plain or SMS logo)
- navy button or zip sweater, navy v-neck pullover, or crewneck sweatshirt (plain or SMS logo, no hoods permitted)
- white or navy socks or tights
- black, non-marking dress shoes
*All elementary students will wear full Dress Uniforms every Tuesday and when attending off campus trips and in school special events.
The following items must be purchased from R.J. McCarthy School Uniforms (excluding socks and shoes).
- navy pants, white oxford button down collar shirt with SMS logo or white Peter Pan collar blouse, McNeil tartan tie, navy socks, black dress shoes
- McNeil plaid kilt, white oxford button down collar shirt with SMS logo or white Peter Pan collar blouse with SMS logo, McNeil tartan tie, navy tights or socks, black dress shoes
- Navy tunic with SMS logo, white button-down collar oxford shirt or Peter Pan collar blouse with SMS logo, McNeil tartan tie, navy tights or socks, black dress shoes
From May 1st to the Tuesday after Thanksgiving, navy walking shorts are an option for dress uniform.
- black, non-marking dress shoes (no heel, no backless shoes permitted)
- beginning June 1 of each year, students are permitted to wear sandals (no flip flops, backless sandals, backless shoes, or crocs are permitted)
- socks and non-marking running shoes are always mandatory for Physical Education.
Physical Education Uniform
On Phys. Ed. Days, lower elementary students may wear their gym clothes to school.
- plain or SMS logo navy sweatpants or navy gym shorts (no warm-up or tear away pants)
- white T-shirt SMS logo or plain
- white socks
- plain or SMS logo navy zip or crew neck sweatshirt, if needed (no hooded sweaters permitted)
Upper Elementary / Junior High
On Phys. Ed. Days, upper elementary and junior high students are required to change into their gym clothes at school.
The following gym uniform must be purchased from R.J. McCarthy School Uniforms (excluding socks and shoes).
- SMS logo/black gym shorts or athletic pants
- SMS logo yellow T-shirt
- white socks
*Students dressed inappropriately for gym class will be asked not to participate.